Class FAQ Baxter
First Things First...
Start the year off on the right foot!
Families should read through the handbook for complete information about classes
Student Dress Code
Modesty: No midriffs should be shown at any time, and thighs should be covered. Leotards should be worn with tights. Students may elect to wear shorts over top of their leotard, but tights must still be worn underneath.
Shoes: Proper shoes in specific colors are required for all classes. A list of shoes can be found below.
Hair: Hair should be pulled up and away from the student’s face.
Piercing: The only piercings allowed are in the ear lobes of girls. All other piercing should be removed prior to entering the studio.
Tattoos: Absolutely no tattoos allowed. No exceptions.
|Combo (ages 2.5 – 6.5) Cheer Dance (ages 4-9) Tumbling (ages 3-6) Teen Jazz (ages 13 – 18) Lyrical (all ages)||* Leotard & tights (any color, any style) * Skirts and shorts may be worn over top of the leotard, but tights must still be worn underneath.|
|Jazz/Hip-Hop (ages 5-12)
Teen Hip-Hop (ages 13 - 18) Tap (all ages)
|*Leotard & tights (any color, any style) * Skirts and shorts may be worn over top of the leotard, but tights must still be worn underneath. * Jazz pants and Ts|
|Acro (ages 6 – 18)||* Leotard & tights, (any color, any style) * Skirts and shorts may be worn over top of the leotard, but tights must still be worn underneath. * Jazz pants and leotard (no Ts) * Unibikes or unitards|
|Ballet I-V (ages 7 -18)||*Attire varies; please see page 6 of our handbook.|
|Boys (all ages)||* Acro - basketball shorts, jazz pants or sweats and Ts (tucked in). * All other classes – Jazz pants & Ts * Ballet – Jazz pants, white fitted Ts, and black ballet shoes|
||Ages 7-10||Ages 11-12||Teen Classes||Ballet/ Boys|
Pink Capezio 205
625 or CG55
Carmel Capezio 625 or CG55
Dancer’s own tennis shoes
Pre-Ballet I – VI
Pink Capezio Split Sole
2027 or 2033
|Tap (Combo) Carmel Capezio 625||
Carmel Capezio CG15
Carmel Capezio CG15
Carmel Capezio CG15
Check with Instructor
Jazz/Hip Hop Carmel Capezio CG15
|Jazz Hip Hop/Cheer Carmel Capezio CG15||Acro Barefoot (Undeez Optional)||
Barefoot (Undeez Optional)
Carmel Capezio CG55
Dancer’s own tennis shoes
|Acro/Tumbling Barefoot (Undeez Optional)||
Caramel Capezio CG15
|Please write your child’s name on all belongings! The first couple weeks of classes we will help to write dancer’s names on their shoes. Sharpies are available in the office…just ask|
Monday, August 20th
Preparing for Class
- Dancers are to enter the dance studio fully dressed for class with their hair properly pulled back (bun for ballet) and dance shoes on. Please do not wear street shoes into dance rooms. Dance bags may be brought into the room or left in a locker should one decide to rent a locker for the year.
- Combo classes (preschool through 6 years old) will need to have their tap shoes on each week when entering class. Please put your ballet shoes in a dance bag that will be brought in with them. Put your child’s name in the shoes and on the bag. The teachers will help dancers change shoes in the middle of the class.
- Lockers are available to rent for the year. Please stop by the office for additional help and information regarding locker rentals.
What to Expect Your First Week
- The halls are very crowded the first few weeks of classes. This will settle down after the first few weeks.
- There is a lot of switching around of classes as parents are trying to get settled in the new schedule of the year. Please be patient. Classes often have to change at the same time, so that dancers can go to the different subjects they are taking.
- Like school, the first few weeks of class are review, and getting everyone comfortable with new classes and new teachers. This helps to make the students comfortable and the teachers can see if they are in the correct class.
- If dancers have been placed into classes that are not correct for them –Don’t worry - we will find a more suitable class!
- Parking is the #1 complaint with parents in dance schools around the nation. This is something that can’t be helped. Please be careful to watch for children! There is additional parking in the back of the building.
- Parents, it is best to get your dancer in class on time, ready to dance.
- Please keep the hallways clear; dancers will be walked out into the main lobby area for pick up.
- In December and the spring all families from all classes will be invited to come and see what we have been working on.
- The youngest dancers will often have tears or anxiety the first few weeks. This is normal. The teachers are trained to get children “on task” quickly. It is not uncommon to have a few dancers on a few hips the first month of class! The best way to ensure success is to assure them they are going to have fun. Leave as quickly as possible and watch them through the window. Please keep noise down at the window and don’t let siblings open the door or knock on the window. This will distract the dancers.
- Please have all dancers use the bathroom before class. Teachers will gladly take them if they do need to go during class, but this can be a disruption.
- You do not have to stay at the studio while your child has a class. However, you must be here to pick your child up on time. If you are running late, please call the studio so that we can get them to the office to wait for you.
Always stop in the office if you have questions or concerns. Every staff member wants your experience here to be positive and rewarding.
Yes! Please label all shoes, dancewear, dance bags, coats, etc. with the students first and last name. Please write your dancers name on the bottom of their shoes. If not labeled properly, teachers will write your dancers first and last name on their shoes during the first few weeks of classes. If the item left behind is properly labeled, the studio will attempt to contact the parent and hold that item in the “pick-up drawer” located in the studio office.
All registered accounts will automatically be subscribed to our email newsletter and studio updates. Accounts may unsubscribe or change their email preferences at any time, however if they do they will miss out on important studio information.
We are also on Facebook! Become a fan and keep up with the latest Miller Street news.
If a student will be missing 2 or more consecutive weeks of class, please contact the studio office. The office staff will relay the information to the instructors. There are no refunds for missed classes. These can be made up any time before May in an age appropriate class, even if it’s a different style than what the student is taking. After May 1st make-up classes attended must be in a class doing the same recital routine. Please contact the studio office for information. Please get a “Make-up Class” form from the office to take into class with you.
Please see our All About Recital page
Please see our Tuition Rates and Fees page.
Instructors can be contacted via email. All emails are listed on Staff page. Please do not try to catch an instructor between classes. Class schedules are very tight and our instructors would like to give your questions and concerns the proper attention.
Yes! The lost and found is located in the locker room. Please check the office for lost jewelry or hair items. Items will be donated at winter, spring, and summer breaks and when the bin becomes overfull. We will let you know via newsletter/bulletin board before items are donated. Please check these bins regularly. Miller Street Dance Academy is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Fall and spring Parent Observation Weeks are the only times parents and families are invited into the classroom. All other times our classes are closed door sessions. Please do not open the door during class time.